Walley’s Hot Springs
Like many Nevada hot springs, the ones located as Walley’s Hot Springs dot a fault break along which the mountains rise.
In 1862, along this Carson branch of the emigrant trail, David and Harriet Walley developed a $100,000 spa eleven beds, a ballroom, and gardens. The thermal water (l36 to 160 degrees F) became well known as a cure for “rheumatism and scrofulous afflictions.”
Walley’s Hot Springs sold for a mere $5,000 in 1896, but operated until 1935 when it burned down. Its formal cool cellar was integrated into the complex during a 1970s renovation.
In 1962, trial hydrothermal power holes were drilled here as deep as 1,250 feet and found thermal water with a maximum temperature of 181 degrees.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 120
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CARSON VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY