The federal government historically supported numerous surveys for the purpose of measuring the domain which extended to the Pacific after 1848. These surveys sought railway routes, military relationships, water transport and wagon roads. The survey activity was extended to all territories, but not to the states.
The Nevada Territory, in part, was the site of two notable surveys: Honeylake to Fort Kearny Wagon Road, completed in 1860 by Captain Frederick West Lander, and the route surveyed by Lieutenant James H. Simpson, Camp Floyd in Utah to Genoa, Nevada in 1859. Other military engineers engaged in this activity included Stansbury, Marcy, Whipple, and Beale.
The name of Captain Lander stands out as a contributor to Nevada’s history. He has been memorialized in the name of a prominent Nevada county. Nearby Simpson Park Mountains are named in honor of Lieutenant Simpson’s efforts.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 176
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
NEVADA HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT