Native Americans and passing emigrants once camped here and the stone house was erected in the 1860s by officials of the Overland Stage Company as a dining and overnight rest stop. The Central Pacific Railroad line passed through this section of Humboldt County in 1868, and the nearby springs provided water for engines. A small community flourished here for a number of years to serve the needs of railroaders and neighboring ranchers, and a post office operated here from November 1890 to March 1915.
STATE HISTOCIAL MARKER NO. 239
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
SPONSORED BY DAIL E. TURNEY