Osceola, most famous of the White Pine County gold producers, was one of the longest-lived placer camps in Nevada.
The gold-bearing quartz belt found in 1872 was 12 miles long by 7 miles wide. Placer gold was found in 1877 in a deep ravine indenting the area. Miners first used the simple process of the common 49” rocker. Hydraulic monitors later were used to mine the gold from the 10’ to 200’ thick gravel beds. One gold nugget found was valued at $6,000.
Osceola was a good business town because of its location near the cattle and grain ranches and gardens in the Spring and Snake Valleys.
Famous district mines were the Cumberland, Osceola, Crescent and Eagle, Verde, Stem-Winder, Guilded Age, Grandfather Snide, Red Monster, and the Saturday Night.
The camp produced nearly $5 million, primarily in gold, with some silver, lead, and tungsten.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 98
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
WHITE PINE PUBLIC MUSEUM, INC.