In 1862, Ivy Mead, John McCone and Mr. Tascar established a foundry at Johntown, two miles southeast of here in Gold Canyon. After two years they moved their operation to this point and erected a large granite building. John McCone became the sole proprietor of the foundry in 1866.
A fire on May 15, 1872 left nothing standing but the walls of the foundry.
McCone then bought the Fulton Foundry built in Virginia City in 1863. McCone made it possibly the largest foundry in the state. The foundry manufactured all the early castings of the Virginia and Truckee Railway. He employed 110 men at its peak.
The largest casting poured on the Pacific Coast was made at Fulton’s on December 11, 1880.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 185
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE