Historic Flume and Lumberyard
Photo courtesy of Carleen Clark
Approximately one-half mile south of this point and west of the present highway lay the immense yard of the Carson-Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, the greatest of the Comstock timber companies operating in the Lake Tahoe Basin during 1870-1898.
Situated at the terminus of the 12 mile V flume from Spooners Summit in the Sierra Nevada, the lumberyard was approximately one mile long and one-half mile wide. A spur line of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad served the yard. The spur ran adjacent to this site and carried rough lumber to the company’s planing mill and box factory, one-half mile north on Stewart Street. It also transported timbers and cordwood to the Carson yards to be hauled to the Comstock mines and mills.
STATE HISTORIC MARKER No. 193
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CARSON CITY HISTORICAL COMMISSION