Hazen
Hazen was named for William Babcock Hazen, who served under General Sherman in his “march to the sea.” The town, established in 1903 to house laborers working on the Newlands irrigation project south of here, included hotels, saloons, brothels, churches, and schools.
In 1905, the first train came through on the new route to Tonopah. The following year, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a large roundhouse here as well as a fine depot. In 1908, Hazen was nearly destroyed by fire.
As a tough town, it had no peer in the state. A lynching occurred in Hazen when “Red” Wood was taken from the wooden jail and hanged on February 28, 1905.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 178
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
JEFFREY REICHMAN, BSA
Photo Courtesy of David J. Harrison