Glendale School (1864-1958) “Oldest Remaining School Building in Nevada”
Glendale, as a settlement, preceded Reno and was destined to be the metropolis on the Truckee River until the Central Pacific Railroad was induced to bypass the community for a station at Lake’s Crossing (Reno).
E. C. Sessions, the first teacher, organized the school and taught in his home until this building opened in 1864. Archie Bryant built the structure at a cost of $1,446 and it remains as a testament of his craftsmanship. The original School Board of Trustees consisted of John F. Stone, William Steele, and N. C. Haslund.
Over the years, many Nevadans attended the Glendale School. Perhaps the most notable student was U.S. Senator Patrick A. McCarran.
The school building moved from its original site in 1976 and finally came to rest at this location in 1993.
STATE HISTORIC MARKER NO. 169
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
TROOP #76 – BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA