Fish Lake Valley
This valley was settled when the palmetto mining district was discovered in 1866. In the 1870’s the Griffing & Wyman’s, as well as the Pacific Borax Works, were extracting borax at Fish Lake.
The Carson and Columbus stage line ran northward to aurora and Carson City, making connections with log springs in the Sylvania district and Lida. Several local ranches supplied food to the freight industry and mining communities
A post office was opened at Fish Lake Valley in 1881.
This marker commemorates the life and times of W.O. Harrell, known as “Harrell, the irrepressible,” citizen extraordinaire of fish lake valley in the 1870’s
STATE HISTORIC MARKER No. 133
NEVADA STATE PARKS SYSTEM
DORCAS WOMEN'S CLUB